Search This Blog

25/03/2015

Wednesday March 25th 2015 ~ Closures and Diversions

Apologies for the long delay in updating the blog. I am currently having my house rewired re-plastered and redecorated throughout, so time has been limited. Fortunately friends have come to my aid with some newsworthy items.
Peter writes "How's the X1 going from the new Portland Street stop in King's Lynn ?"  This of course refers to the temporary stop here while the bus station is partly closed for reconstruction work. The answer appears to be ok , here's a snap from Andy Gibbs of 33817 at the temporary stop on 11th  March :

Photo copyright : Andy Gibbs
Roy Northcott from the excellent East Norfolk Bus Blog ( http://eastnorfolkbus.blogspot.co.uk/ )
has sent me a picture taken by driver Roger Bellward of a very unusual sight on the X1 taken on 12th March. An A47 closure between Acle and Norwich for three nights from 11th to 13th resulted in the diversionary route via South Walsham being employed and the consequent use of single deck buses. Some of Lowestoft's Jersey Darts were used as was Streetlight 47504 seen below :

Photo copyright : Roger Bellward
Kieran Smith writes "I thought you may wish to point your readers over to my blog www.norwichbusesblog.blogspot.com for a bit of nostalgia (after reading yours of course!). I've recently put together a rather large archive of previous timetables dating as far back as the 1930s. Among these include the following for any X1 fanatic:
-X94/X95 (2003) and a massive amount of the other Excel services, also the Eastern Counties 34 from 1936, clearly a predecessor of the X1. Interestingly, it took 2hrs and 20mins from Lynn, a connection for a 7  for Great Yarmouth is shown too; the full timetable is also available. Meanwhile, the 2008 Full X1 timetables - featuring the old 'X1 Shorts' and a couple of short runs from Dereham are also online.
These can be found by clicking "Historical Timetables and Route Maps", just below the header. From here it is pretty self explanatory!"
A very interesting site it is too I may say.  Roy sent me another email last week, he says "Thought I would get out during the eclipse to see if I could get a pic of an eclipse during the eclipse! 
Photo copyright : East Norfolk Bus Blog
I got one of a saloon version initially at the roundabout outside Gorleston Parish Church and whilst waiting an E400 passed by at 9:18 on the X1 to Lowestoft :
Photo copyright : East Norfolk Bus Blog
After waiting some time I gave up and was heading home when eclipse 37573 shot past me on the delayed 09:08 from the JPH. I managed to quickly get a going away shot at 09:30 as the clock on Gorleston Parish Church shows 
Photo copyright : East Norfolk Bus Blog
Gordon Bruce was among hoards of enthusiasts at the Norwich Bus Running Day last weekend, unfortunately I was unable to attend as I was filming for my music convention in a couple of weeks time. GB says " Don't know if AU53 HJF ever worked the X1 or its predecessor, but here it is at County Hall on today's Norwich Classic Bus Running Day making out that it did!"
Photo copyright : Gordon Bruce
Thanks guys for all that info, made putting the blog together a lot easier I can tell  you ! At the western end of the X1 route, the Enviro 400s continue to visit Cummins at Wellingborough for attention. 33803/4/13 have now been dealt with and 33805 is there presently. 33806 is currently undergoing its MOT. On 16th 33807 failed at Necton at 19.30 but repairs to a pipe saw the vehicle able to continue to Norwich. Two days earlier a puncture on 33816 saw it replaced by 33808 at Wisbech before departure as the 10.14 to Peterborough.
Timekeeping by and large has been excellent. I will try and bring you another report including sightings from Lowestoft in the next week  or so.

No comments: